In a few weeks, my wife will be giving birth to our first daughter, which we’re both very excited about.
In an ideal world, we’d both be self-employed and be able to spend all day, every day with her. While that doesn’t seem feasible at the moment, my entrepreneurial side has come up with an idea that might help to make that happen.
As you may be aware, I already provide a service called The WP Butler, which provides maintenance, backups, updates and security for your WordPress site. It takes the burden of the routine maintenance that WordPress sites need out of your hands and into the hands of someone (me) capable who can do this for you regularly, and spot and fix problems while he’s at it.
As an idea of increasing membership, I’ve been toying with the idea of enacting a pay-what-you-can system. There’s a few reasons behind this:
- While I obviously benefit financially from providing services like this (we all need to eat, right?), I genuinely love to help people, and to work with WordPress. This service brings those two items together.
- People may see a price tag and instantly turn away at the thought of having to part with that money every month, without having experienced the service that it buys you.
- From what I hear, enacting pay-what-you-can systems regularly results in earning more than you would have if you had a set price. I was actually watching a TED talk by Amanda Palmer on this very subject, just this morning.
- It goes hand-in-hand with the WordPress community spirit: accessibility for all, regardless of your location or income. There should be no barrier to access.
- I would do anything to help realise my dream of spending more time with my daughter, and I think that this is a market for which there is a big need: I just need help making people aware that it exists.
So, with that, I open it up for discussion. I’m not one to ever ask for help, but would you help spread the word on this and get a feel for if there are people that you know that would be interested in a service like this? Would you help support me as a partner in the WordPress community for two causes: to make WordPress sites more secure and reliable, and to help me and my wife spend more time with our daughter?